Cleveland Clinic London brings you some of the U.K.’s foremost upper gastrointestinal (GI) surgeons. Our renowned team has experience treating a broad range of disorders affecting the stomach, oesophagus and small bowel. We specialise in state-of-the-art treatments, including laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery, for rare and complex diseases.
Stomach and Oesophageal Surgery: Why Choose Cleveland Clinic London?
At our upper GI surgery programme, you’ll find:
- Team approach: Complex conditions of the stomach and oesophagus may require collaboration with other specialists. That’s why our upper GI surgeons work closely with experts in gastroenterology, colorectal surgery, bariatric surgery, endoscopy and hepato-pancreatico-biliary (HPB) surgery. This collaborative approach means you receive a comprehensive care plan built by a multispecialty team.
- Care for complex conditions: We often address the most difficult or complex cases when other institutions can’t. Our surgeons are uniquely qualified to treat advanced stomach and oesophageal cancers and tracheo-oesophageal fistulae. The upper GI surgical team also has considerable expertise in treating complications of bariatric and anti-reflux surgery, as well as oesophageal reconstruction and large or recurrent hiatal hernias. Cleveland Clinic London experts also manage chronic conditions that can make surgery more difficult, such as diabetes, obesity or lung disease.
- Surgical leaders: Our surgeons have training and experience from some of the world’s leading universities and teaching hospitals. They’re continually involved in research and publish articles about the latest advances in upper GI surgery. You receive care from an elite team that’s always bringing you newer, better treatments.
Upper GI Conditions We Treat
We care for routine and rare conditions of the stomach, oesophagus and small bowel, including:
- Barrett’s oesophagus.
- Complications of bariatric and anti-reflux surgery.
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumour (GIST).
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD), including heartburn and acid reflux.
- Hiatal hernia.
- Oesophageal strictures.
- Stomach cancer and oesophageal cancer.
- Stomach ulcers and peptic ulcers.
- Swallowing problems, including achalasia and dysphagia.
Types of Upper GI Surgery We Offer
We specialise in minimally invasive upper GI surgeries. Whenever possible, we perform your procedure using laparoscopic (keyhole) or robotic techniques. You receive the treatment you need with smaller incisions, less pain and a shorter recovery.
Our upper GI surgeries include:
- Gastrectomy: We may remove part or all of your stomach to treat cancer (including GIST), obesity or severe stomach ulcers.
- Hiatal hernia surgery: We use open, laparoscopic or robotic surgery to repair simple and complex hiatal hernias. Our surgeons have experience treating large or recurrent hernias causing chronic acid reflux and GORD.
- Nissen fundoplication: Also called anti-reflux surgery, this minimally invasive procedure wraps part of the stomach around the lower oesophagus to prevent stomach acid from entering the oesophagus.
- Oesophagectomy: We may remove part or all of your oesophagus to treat oesophageal cancer.
- Small bowel resection: We may do a small bowel resection (removing part of the small intestine) for cancer, GIST, severe IBD or intestinal blockages.
Contact us or call +44 20 3423 7500 for more information about our upper GI surgery services.